Wednesday, July 5, 2006

A little Tin Roof wildlife

These are some of the things you might see if you ever came to visit us here. Most of these could be seen just by looking out of a window, you wouldn't even have to leave the safety blanket of The Red Tin Roof.

This picture was taken out of my bedroom window. If you look up at the top, you will see two small tree frogs sharing the back side of an ivy leaf. They caught my attention because the one on the left (I'm assuming he was the male), was enjoying putting on a big show of swelling up his body and throat to make the biggest croaking noise ever. I hope I didn't disturb them...ha!

The guy pictured below was hanging out at the side of the window as I was shooting the frogs. I was afraid I wasn't going to get him with the throat out. He decided to flex that muscle after the flash went off with the frog picture.
After the frogs and the lizard, I thought I would take some wildlife photos so that I could entertain all of you. That reminded me that I wanted to let you all see the bird nest that got started in the corner of my porch. Each year, this little wren starts a nest here and then leaves before she finishes it. This year, she got farther than ever. I thought I would take a picture of it for you and then pull it down.

As I took the picture I thought to myself that she must do this so that she would have a decoy nest. Julia and I watched her build it one weekend. Here it is....

Well, then, as I reached up to pull it down, lo and behold, a tiny little bird flew out at me. So after a while, I went back to see if I could see anything. Nothing....so I decided to look through the camera lens to get a close-up. Look what you can see when you use a flash....
After that, I decided to go to the swing and lift up the pillow where the other little tree frog likes to hang out. He wasn't there. But, on the porch post, under the thermometer, we found someone else...

Julia and I remarked that the tree frogs must somehow change their colors like lizards do to try to blend in with their surroundings.

After seeing all of these neat little things within about 15 minutes of each other, we then had an invasion of the ebony, slick coated K-IV. It is sometimes a ferocious beast that loves to bring other wildlife such as dead rats, dead raccoons and dead chickens to the house. We like to affectionately refer to this wild beast as Willis.

Today, as we were coming back onto the farm, we had another neat glimpse into mother nature at work. I always stop to point out to the children the occasional turtle, snake, flower or neat bird. As we passed the small irrigation pond next to the tractor shed, we saw the carcass of what I think is a sea gull. The turtles were tugging at it under water trying to convert it into an afternoon snack. So, as always, I stopped to let the children see. (We don't know the initial cause of death).
Then....from our right comes an adolescent alligator. It is swimming very slowly for the turtle's luncheon - I think it knew it wasn't invited. Luckily, I remember that my camera is in the car, so I grab it, take the picture up above, and then take this one...

At first, the gator just nosed it, then.......lots of trashing and splashing....


And afterwards, the alligator left the carcass and went on its way. I don't know if it didn't like it, if it realized that it didn't taste good or what. Weird.

But you know, the wildest of all the wildlife out here, is what you can see floating in the creek on random weekend afternoons. This time, it happened on the 4th...right in the middle of what would have been a normal work day - definitely a rare sight....

Hope you all enjoyed the fourth!

No comments: