Friday, April 17, 2009

Birthday Time!

I'm turning 40 on Sunday. Everyone keeps asking what it feels like, or how I feel about it. First - I love my birthday (maybe that means I like attention or being in the spotlight). So, the fact that it's my birthday is great! The fact that it's "4-0"....uhhh. Who cares, really? I don't feel 40. I hope I don't look 40 - but if I do that's ok too.

It does feel quite a bit odd to think that I've been on this earth for 40 years. That seems (sounds like) a long time, doesn't it? "Forty". 1, 2, ...skip a few..., 39, 40!

Let's just think about the number 40 for a bit....
- If something only has 40 calories - you'd be kind of excited, only 40 calories is pretty good!
- If donuts came in a 40 pack that'd be pretty exciting too (though I don't think I could eat them all at one sitting).
- 40 miles per hour is kind of on the small, insignificant side of the available MPH scale. I mean, it's hardly considered going fast unless you're in a neighborhood. And you definitely need more MPH than 40 on the interstate!
- you'd want more than 40 kernels of popcorn. 40 just isn't enough to fill the bowl.
- 40 minutes - a lot can get done in 40 minutes.
- But you can't watch a whole movie in 40 minutes.
- You can Ti-vo through commercials and make a 1 hour tv show less than 40 minutes sometimes! Hey, you just got some time back.
- an extra 40 lbs isn't so good - unless you're ordering a pig for a bar-b-que.
- having 40 friends is good. AND, they can help with eating that extra 40 lbs of pig at that BBQ.
- a classroom with 40 elementary children would be a lot!
- But...if you were teaching science in college, having only 40 students in your auditorium classroom would feel like you had failed in attracting students to your course. You'd want to fill that auditorium, wouldn't you? You'll need way more than 40.
- getting 40 presents for your birthday would be great!
- writing 40 thank you notes may take a while - but 40 presents! Wow!
- And isn't "4" just a nice looking number? Much more pleasant to look at than a "3". So I now get 10 years of looking at cute, little "4"!


See there, 40 just doesn't come across like a bad, or threatening number at all!
As a matter of fact, there seems to me more positive things about 40 than negative. And, since I only feel 28-ish, I'd say I'm rather excited to have a birthday on Sunday; even if it is the BIG 40. To date, I have no problems with 40. Not too old, not too young. Just Right!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday !!!! I wish I were there to share it with you. Life deffinately begins at 40 ! I remeber once you told me...Aunt Susie, you'll always be just 18 to me. Well...Annie B....you'll alwasy be just 18 to me, too! I Love You ! Have a Wonderful B-Day!
Aunt Susie

beckyann215 said...

It's amazing that we both survived to got you to 40. I love you 40 more times today than I did 40 years ago and I loved you a lot then. my love affair with you continues. MOM

Nancy said...

Happy Birthday, Anne!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

movin down the road said...

HAPPY!!! BIRTHDAY!!!! I'm not scared of 40. I hear from most women friends that they love 40. I can see that. Have a wonderful day!