Birthday Surprises
As I get further and further away from my last post, it gets harder and harder to want to write. Too much catching up to do if you know what I mean.
I have pictures off the camera and on to the external hard drive, but Picasa is giving me fits. Mostly because I'm learning as I go and I don't have the time to devote to it right now.
Legare turned 9 on Monday. He danced a jig for a few days before and continued through yesterday. I'm sure as we wake he'll continue. Bryan and I both commented on how we had never seen anyone quite so excited about a birthday. And it wasn't even a big one. No double digits or anything...just good old 9 is all.
He got everything he wanted for presents. And all of them were Lego Star Wars things. You would have thought they were all bars of gold. And equal excitement was given to all of them - huge and small alike.
The one that we gave him is called a Republic Attack Gunship (you've seriously got to check out the picture of the thing). He watched a cute video clip of it on Legos.com for days, maybe weeks, leading up to his birthday. And I see why...I have not seen so many moving doors and hatches on one piece in a while - it is truly a neat "ship". It took about 2 days to build with over 1000 pieces. He was very proud, I was very impressed. He even asked me to join him on the building of it - truly sharing his pleasure. I was honored and enjoyed every minute of it.
Then, disaster struck. We finished the ship around 5:00 and worked together to put together another of his gifts (I really did enjoy doing this with him - sissy was at a b-day party so it was just us). He couldn't wait for his dad to get home to show off his new creation. He flew it around and played until bedtime. I should mention that this thing probably weighs 12 pounds.
Not long after we tucked him in he was back in the den with what we thought would be the "I can't sleep" song. Instead, he let out the saddest cry ever to come from a 9 year old boy. His ship had broken. And it was devastating.
We reassured him that it could be fixed, it just had come apart. The Legos we were sure hadn't broken. And my thought was that this things was so big and beefy it was probably 5-7 big pieces that could easily be put back together. WRONG. Imagine our surprise when we got to his room and it looked as if the ship had taken part in a gun battle. I bet there were 500 individual pieces of Lego or Lego chunks in one pile on the floor. My heart sank with him and we all kind of started laughing out loud at the ridiculous pile. It couldn't have looked much worse had you just opened the box and dumped out all of the pieces.
I bet it will take 30 minutes at a minimum to get the thing back together. And he did not start it today - he decided to enjoy the others for a while. I'm betting that's on our Friday to do list. I have told him that I do not have super glue!


4 comments:
oh gosh, I hate it when the kids' projects get hurt in any way. they are so proud of what they create and then BAM.
I love a child's imagination especially at the tender age of nine. It just doesn't seem like it takes much to make them happy. Just a few hundred Legos....
Maybe you can fix it and the dip it in shellac, a permanent monument to Lego glory. Poor little man.
where are you? everything okay?
Post a Comment