Tea, A drink with Jam and Bread
We just had a very fun weekend at Garden City (thanks, Aileen and Spencer!). We had fun at TWO honest to God arcades, enjoyed some (pretty chilly) pirate Putt-Putt, watched a few great college football games, ate on the waterfront in Murrell's Inlet, and watched some riveting "Moustrap" building. It was a great weekend! It ended with me taking Julia to audition for a part in "The Sound of Music" with one of our local theater companies. The auditions started at 7:30. We arrived a few minutes early and were still 55th.
Julia's music teacher at school has been helping her with an audition song. They settled on (and have been working on at lunch) "In My Own Little Corner" from Cinderella. When I heard it on Thursday night (finally) I was blown away at how good it sounded. Not that I thought it wouldn't sound great, but I was very impressed. She brought tears to my eyes (not really surprising, I know), but she also brought tears to the neighbor's eyes. They were here because we caught them Boo-ing us. I swear Betsy let more tears drop than I did.
We got to the auditions at 7:25, and at 5 til 11:00 we were done. We were a bit encouraged that Julia was one of the few that sang a song NOT from The Sound of Music. Mr. Ivey seemed really pleased with her. I was the mom listening at the door...literally with my ear pressed as hard as I could get it. As she was leaving (when they opened the door) they stopped to ask her another question and then both (Mr. Ivey and the pianist) called out that she was really enjoyable.
Yay, Julia!
Bryan was funny...he didn't say much to me about her auditioning before hand. However, last night as she was in bed and sleeping, he looked at me and said something like, "How about Julia actually wanting to try out and actually doing it." She was, afterall, the one that presented me with the possibility of doing this after Googling "auditions in Charleston for kids". This was all her idea.
Tonight was the second and final night of the auditions. I don't know when or if we'll hear anything, but I'll make sure to keep you posted.
I swear she didn't even seem nervous. Giddy is more how I would describe her. I was glad to be there to witness it.


2 comments:
It's now Wednesday...and I'm checking my email constantly!
Just got a call..."though her audition was really great, we had an overwhelming response, and we won't need her this time".
Julia took it like a pro. Now she's going back to try for young Hellen Keller in "The Miracle Worker".
She caught the bug, I think.
Post a Comment