New Member of our Family
Meet Felix!

I happened upon Felix when I was being the dutiful mother of Ella. You know, going to theSPCA to fill out a missing dog report and to see if she was there. Of course I had to stop and visit the cat room while I was there. Very cute cats. But this one caught my eye because of the breed resemblence to Cahli. She was one of those rare cats that wants to be touched or patted all of the time - not just when she decided, but when you decided too. We used to call her a "slut for the rub" because she would literally do whatever it took for you to pet her. Including putting herself in the way of children; because, hey, children and babies will pay attention to you too.
And since I really wanted another cat with an attitude like that, this guy really caught my eye.

(this is the only picture I could find of Cahli at this point. This was taken after she spent some time stuck in the pluff mud. But I think you can get the feeling for the resemblance.)
So, seeing this "breed" again, I stopped to pet "Martin" (that was the name the pound gave him upon arrival). He instantly insisted I continue petting him. I was hooked. But I left anyway.
So on the way home I called Bryan and jokingly told him that I had adopted a new cat. I couldn't wait to hear the level of frustration in his voice and then get the fun of convincing him that I really hadn't.
To my surprise, there was no frustration. He even said to me, "woman, if you want to get the cat, get it.".
Well that was all I needed to hear!
Only thing was - this was Thursday, I wouldn't be able to get back until Saturday - after Legare's soccer game. There would be no way he would still be there. I told myself that if he wasn't there I was NOT to look at any others for consideration - this would just be my sign that I was not supposed to have a kitten.
But I really wanted the kids to have fun having a baby animal around the house - even though I knew he would really secretly be mine, not theirs (but we'll have to wait and see what Felix has to say about that. So far, so good for me).
So - Monday, I took the children and we went and picked up Felix. Note how he looks like a cow. I kept trying to come up with a name like Holstein, Bo (short for Bovine), or Angus. None of those seemed to work. I even thought it would be funny to dub him Meyer (you know - we already had Oscar here - Meyer would complete the duo). But I didn't really like Meyer for a name.
After talking to Mom, she suggested Felix. Completing the Felix Unger and Oscar Madison pair from the TV show, "The Odd Couple" (Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau). I even remember seeing some of these shows as a child. Felix was perfect.
And Felix is living up to the "breed standard" set by Cahli - lots of loving, all the time. Oscar was only upset for about 24 hours. Though I wouldn't call them friends quite yet, Oscar has stopped hissing, even at me, and has gone back to allowing me to pet his tummy. He and Felix are currently even in the same room together.


1 comment:
SOOOOOOO cute, I can see a resemblence to Cahli, If after 48 hours he is curling up on the sofa you got a good one. Had not seen that pic of Cahli, she looks so pitful. Felix is taking on the life of lazy Oscar Madison. great names!!
Post a Comment