Thursday, December 28, 2006

Great Presents aren't always the Things you Buy

There are so many things we think of when we purchase presents for one another. We often think about what it is that our loved one wants.

Is it the Tervis Tumblers they hinted at?

The Speed Stackers they've been talking about non-stop?

The Pterodactyl Hot Wheels track they make you look at every time it comes on TV?

A painting to memorialize your house?

Something to add to our loved one's collectibles?

And there are so many things that you think of that you would like for gifts too. Will anyone hear you? Think about it? Afford it? Want to get it for you? Etc., etc.

Then there are those gifts that you didn't even think would ever be given as a gift.

The ones you knew deep down that you always wanted, but weren't things that you had any control over or could actually purchase. These things you can't even really ask for because it would seem a bit forward or rude.

You know, the long awaited engagement, the announcement of expecting babies. Aileen and I have actually packaged the baby announcements in Christmas boxes topped with bows.

Well my parents gave me one of these types of presents this year.

NO...not an expectant parent present. It was a sweet little card, one to me, one to Joe. We were instructed to open these at the same time, before all of the other gifts.

I assumed it was gift cards.

Until I opened the envelope.

Then I saw their Charleston address on the back.

"Are they moving back home", I thought. No, surely not. Get to the front and read the card.

"Home, Sweet Home"....OMG! They are!!! The jumping a squealing (and flow of tears) that went on was great. I think it took the children a second to wonder what the heck had happened to the adults, and then they "got it" too. Gray (2 years old) never quite understood why we were so excited, but he continued the jumping and squealing every time he opened a gift. He will probably always open presents now with great gusto.

Well, after the excitement died, we got the scoop from Mom and Dad that they will be back here in mid January. Truly the best present this season!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you blog this morning, Dad and I are so glad that you are happy and that we suprised all of you. Now, does this mean no more blogs just because we will be 20 miles away instead on 300. love ya, mom

Kak said...

This better not mean no more blogging!! Yay, Jack and Becky!! Welcome home! Can't wait to see you!

Anne said...

I plan on continuing to blog...someday I'll figure out how to print each page with Snapfish or Shutterfly. And as long as you keep commenting occassionally, I'll keep blogging.

Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I must insist that the blogging continue for the "other" out-of-towners! :)

Kelley

Anonymous said...

Hey !!!! Make sure you tell your mom that I kept the secret! LOL... she made me promise! I am so happy that you and your family will all be together again for the new year! Family is the best gift of all.....Best Wishes to you all for a safe and happy new year!
With Love, your favoritest damn yankee....-Ro :)

Anonymous said...

Anne......
You have to continue your blog. Your NC family has to have some way to keep up with you. I really enjoy reading your posts.
We Love You!

Aunt Susie