Thursday, February 7, 2008

That Durned Tooth Fairy

Did you ever have that time in your life when the tooth fairy was supposed to come visit and didn't?

You know what I'm talking about, you woke in the morning and didn't see money.
Your parents come in with large amounts of disbelief - surely you've overlooked it.
And you end up finding it under the other pillow, or on the floor.

Well, this morning - Julia rose and there was no money. This is the 2nd tooth lost in about two weeks - right next to each other - large, large hole.

She showed no displeasure. She just quietly made her bed and started getting ready for her day.

As I woke, it dawned on me - Julia lost a tooth right at bed time last night.
I wonder if the tooth fairy came. If so, surely the money may be on the floor - what with it coming out so late and all.

I enter the room excitedly to see if there was money.
Julia flatly answers "No.".
I go to look under the pillow and on the floor..."I've already looked - it's not there."

Hmmm.

"Well, Julia..."
"...I told you that putting it under your pillow in an eyeglass case wasn't a good idea."

Then Bryan joins our conversation as breakfast is being prepared.
B - "I didn't even know she lost a tooth."

A - "Well, what were you looking at on the computer when she jaunted in to tell us?"
After Bryan goes to her room to look, Bryan then thought he saw a $10 BILL on the floor.

"No Way!" I say with a snotty little voice. "You have got to be kidding."
B - "Well, Maybe it was a 5."

A - "What are you talking about Bryan?????? Julia and I have already talked about how the Fairy probably couldn't get in to see the tooth in the latched eyeglass case. Are you sure you saw a big 'ol Fiver?"

B - "I guess not."

Julia will just have to try again, and maybe tonight she won't latch it in her eyeglass case.
And maybe now the Fairy has had ample time to prepare for the delivery. I mean, it was after 8 when the thing came out - she (or he, I keep getting reminded of that) was probably already on rounds. Or so tired and finally had a night off that she (or he) may have just gone to bed and taken the night off.

Who knows.
But whatever the reason - I don't like making excuses for the little Tooth Sprite.
Luckily, Julia seemed understanding.

2 comments:

Kak said...

A ten for a tooth?? I'm sending my kids to live with you when they start losing theirs!

Anne said...

No - no ten!
That's why Bryan got the sassy talk.

Anne