Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Don't Revisit Your Childhood Like This

On several occasions lately I have noticed the same thing happening. I've noticed it happening at church (on Sunday mornings and during weekday Bible study). It's happened numerous times at the children's school. Happened again at a few basket ballgames and even in large stores (Lowe's I believe).

This thing I have noticed actually kind of grosses me out a bit. It's one of the things that your mother pounded into your head as a child. Over and over. And over again. It's the thing that as a child you just didn't want to be bothered with because it seemed kind of senseless. You literally could have been doing this all day long. As an adult, most of us understand the importance of it. And until lately I thought that it was something that ALL adults did. But I have been proven wrong. All of the places mentioned above had infractions by adults. Well, except for the children's school. That grossity (ooh - new word) was actually performed by a child. But adults were guilty everywhere else. And some of these adults were adults in the "great grandparent" sense of the word. So they should know better.

What is this thing that I have witnessed? This thing that really has me scratching my head? I'll tell you. It's that more people than I have ever noticed before have left the bathroom stall and headed straight out of the door. Maybe slowing down to check their hair in the mirror. But definitely NOT washing their hands. YUCK!!

Is there some sanitary movement that I don't know about? Like - you'll pass less germs after wiping your backside than after touching the sink? Granted, I will a lot of times turn on the water, wash my hands and then get a towel to dry them. I then turn the water off with the towel. And I can understand not wanting to touch sinks in public bathrooms (they are gross in and of themselves). But these bathrooms are the ones inside my church and the school. Where I know they are cleaned everyday. And they aren't even really dirty to begin with. So I say - WHAT IN THE WORLD GIVES?

Please, people, please, either explain to me, or begin washing again. Maybe this explains why 36 of 187 students were absent one day from the school. No one is washing their hands anymore! And these are people you would expect to know better.

P.S. Quick change of subject - whiplash quick - Crock Pot lady's Rotisserie Chicken was YUM! O.K., after re-reading, this just doesn't seem right coming after the subject above. Sorry.

5 comments:

Mike said...

I work in an office and you'd be suprised at the number of guys who leave the restroom without washing. Yeeck.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where the cook comes out of a stall and doesn't wash and then tells Jerry that he's fixing him a great meal. Jerry then refuses to eat it...

Anonymous said...

That one's a classic...thanks for jogging the memory. I loved Seinfeld.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. GROSS. yes, I have seen ADULTS not wash their hands. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

We used to have a secretary we called "Poppy" after that Seinfeld...

Caroline said...

GROSS! I too use the paper towel to turn off the water and open the door. I REALLY started washing my hands after taking a microbiology class. My eyes were opened to things I had no clue about with that class. YUCK!

My verification word is hot in day.