And the Next Birthday is.....
The Next Birthday is Julia's (Sept. 15).
So this is what I have cooking for Julia's birthday...
She's turning 11 and still likes American Girl dolls. And even though she wants a Nintendo DSi she would love to go to the American Girl Experience or the American Girl Bistro (basically anywhere she can travel by plane I think would be fine too. And since I've driven around Atlanta before, not Chicago or NYC - Atlanta is what I chose for such a quick trip).
So, since we've accumulated LOTS of sky miles over the years of using the Amex, I decided that I'm going to (surprise) take her to Atlanta next weekend to go to the American Girl Bistro. I have booked the plane, the rental car, the hotel and our breakfast at "The Bistro". I have even gotten the teachers to ok a surprise early dismissal from school. The only thing I have left undone is where we will eat on Friday night (there's a Bennihana's right around the corner from the hotel. There is also a gracious plenty other fun looking restaurants around, so there should be no problem to pick something she will think is a fun thing ).
I am so excited I can hardly stand it. I think what I will do is pick her up from school and have all of her American Girl dolls in the car so that she can chose which one to take to have her hair done while we are there. The nice lady on the American Girl reservations line said we should make sure that Julia has the doll out and in the airport (she has an AG backpack to carry the doll in) because sometimes there are AG ambassadors at the airport handing out certificates to the girls with dolls. So we will definitely be doing that.
I have already started putting together some of our travel liquids...shampoo, conditioner (hotel versions are never good for my hair), travel deodorant, travel toothpaste, moisturizer, etc. The one thing that I'm having trouble with is contact solution for Julia.
The TSA allows you to pack 1 quart size zip lock bag per passenger, holding as many 3 oz. containers as you can fit (they call it the 3-1-1 for Carry ons). the problem is, the small contact solution I'm finding is 4 oz. It states (even shows a picture) right on the package that it is TSA approved, but I wonder how that is true with it being 4 oz? The last thing I want to do is buy a special size but still have it confiscated at the airport, causing us to buy another one once we get there. Of course if we do this, we'll just get to hand it over again as we get ready to return 24 hours later. Money well spent, don't you think?
Well I think I will be making a call to either the maker of Opti Free or Delta to see what I should do. I have only been to two stores, so there may be other options for travel sized solutions at Walmart or Walgreens that I can choose from.
Anyway - wish me luck keeping it secret. I can't wait!!


2 comments:
sounds like so much fun! My girls want the nintendo ds and american girl doll clothes, too. Ugh. (I am saying no to the laptop requests!)
You are a super mom :)
Post a Comment