There's Even Wildlife by the Whispering Marsh
One day I realized the cardinals were going crazy on my front porch.
The cats were sitting in front of the sidelights on the door and the birds were telling the cats something that I'm sure your ears are glad I can't translate.
I decided that must mean there was a nest around. I put on my country girl shoes (ie: barefooted) and went out searching. It didn't take long for me to realize that the cardinals were going in and out of my giant pittosporam that was growing by the driveway.
About half way up - waist high - is where I noticed the nest. Upon peeking in you could see right down in to it. Thank you cardinal parents for making it low enough for us all to peak into. Here's what we saw...
4 babies.
Several days later, there was only one left. I was nervous that he hadn't fledged and may be too weak. I was also bothered by the fact that they were calling for 40 degree weather overnight and he had no nest mates to help keep him warm.
The next morning, this is what I found...He was gone by noon.
Doesn't he look like a little Elvis bird?
It has been fun watching them all around the yard. There has been lots of calling and still fussing at the cats through the window.


1 comment:
"BE QUIET!!" What we hear coming from Ally's room early morning whenever birds are chirping.
Post a Comment