Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What Goes Around, Comes Around

Remember being 10? Or 12 even?
Remember the books we read? Let me refresh for you:

'Super Fudge"
"Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" (currently being read by my rising 4th grader)
"Sheila The Great"
"Blubber"
"Are You There, God, It's Me Margaret"
"Then Again, Maybe I Won't" (maybe we were wee teens for this one)

Ah. That Judy Blume.

I remember hanging on each page. Problem is, I just can't remember any specifics about them now. I remember that I was always, most definitely, feeling something with or for one character or another in each book that I read. The only specific things I can remember is that Margaret did a Slam Book with her friends and was waiting patiently for her female curse to arrive. And someone (could have been in Tiger Eyes) was contemplating sex. Julia isn't at that one yet - whew. But "Blubber" is here at the house and "Are You There, God, It's Me Margaret" wasn't available at the Library.

I checked out my own copy of "Blubber" to read and will definitely be re-reading "Are You There, God..." again too. I know that whether or not Julia has questions for me, I will pose some to her. I think my mother did the same for me. Thank you, Mom.

Oh, such is the circle of life.

No comments: