Monday, December 15, 2008

Big Toe Update!

10 days later on the toe....

Ugly!
Not nearly as sore as it was immediately after nail removal; but I'm still not in a shoe.
I was released from DC (Doctor's Care) today. Man those people are really nice - I actually enjoyed going (5 more times) to get my toe looked at, cleaned, soaked and wrapped. And today I was given the blessing of having the toe "out in the air" to dry out a little but back under bandages and Neosporin at night (who am I kidding, it's generic Triple Antibiotic Ointment, not Neosporin).

Did I mention that it's crazy ugly? I mean CrAzY! Mostly because of the black stain from the silver nitrate they used to cauterize it. This kind of makes the hole where the 1/2 of the nail used to be look a bit gangrenous. Sadly, today is the first day where I actually think it's beginning to look better. And that's mostly because the nice Physicians Assistant spend time sloughing off the black, stained areas today. (Grossed out yet?) Luckily it didn't hurt.

I may get brave and try a shoe tomorrow. I may also chicken out - we'll see.

Julia had me search YouTube to see if she could see a an ingrown nail removal procedure. Sure enough, there's plenty to choose from if anyone's interested; I could barely stand to watch it (phantom sympathy pains) so I won't link it here. You can go on your own if you're so brave. Julia may have a future in the medical industry given her lack of squeamishness over my toe and this YouTube clip. Hopefully the medical industry will still be lucrative when it's her turn to enter the work force.

No comments: