There's a Magnet in my Car
Over the years, my car has hit (ie: I have hit), or has been hit by the following odd things...
1 - A water balloon. Close to curfew in high school (read: almost midnight) this thing hit square on my windshield. It sounded like a gun shot and the water made the windshield look shattered for a split second. This was done on a road where I know I personally wasn't the target. I was just lucky enough to be the next car driving by.
2 - A squirrel. He just fell right off of the overhead power line. Again - right smack in the middle of the windshield. I got to see him land, dead, on the road in the rear view mirror.
3 - Bambi. He leapt right out of the kudzu vines on the side of River Road and head butted my rear hub cab. I of course caught a glimpse of him spinning 'round and 'round on the road from the rear view mirror. Even though this happened in the middle of a pretty good curve, I turned around and pulled him off of the road. Rendering my hands bloody. Luckily I was near the home of my boyfriend and his parents (now my in laws) and stopped to regain my composure and wash my hands. Did I mention I'm a good crier?
4 - A Turkey Vulture. O.K., this actually hit Bryan's windshield when he was driving on Johns Island, but this is such an odd one that I had to add it to the list. It decided to take flight right as Bryan was passing by. He barely got lifted up off the ground and into the lane when the car went by. The bird was so big that it actually cracked and slightly "concaved" our windshield. Nice.
5 - We won't mention all of the countless frogs and possums and the occassional raccoon - I really try to avoid these. In this list, these may be the only things I have hit. They didn't jump out at me or anything weird. And I think Bryan really tried to miss that dog that time.
6 - The latest odd thing was just two nights ago. Headed to "The Pig" (For those of you not in SC, that's the nickname of our grocery store. It's full name is The Piggly Wiggly; redneck sounding I know, but it's a staple here in the south) anyway, I'm headed to The Pig around 9:30 pm (for morning milk that we realized went bad wwaayy before the due date) and from out of the cute shrubs lining our subdivision entry road comes a yellowish blur that clearly flies into something attached to my car. I'm guessing the wheel well by the sound of it. Well I immediately flash back to the water balloon and think someone may have been hiding in the bushes throwing things, so I circle to take a peak. No. It was a precious....ready for this...owl. An owl! Are you kidding me?! I took out a precious owl. Well, technically he flew in to me, so maybe he was depressed or adventure seeking or something. He won, or lost depending on which it was. But there is a dead owl here, nonetheless. And since I google everything I have decided that he was possibly a Barred Owl or Barn Owl. I guess this based on the beautiful orange color and the patterns on his feathers.
I've got to find that magnet and get it out of my car. I'm tired of feeling guilty because these creatures feel the need to jump into me.


5 comments:
I am glad the yellowish blur wasn't Shrimp :) Although the way he trots around like he owns the place, I think his days might be numbered. I'll warn him about you.
The thought of a cat didn't even cross my mind due to this blur being about 3 feet off the ground and coming in straight from the side. It was like he launched himself at me.
Luckily I don't usually see Shrimp on the streets, just in yards. I hope I would see him walking and take proper defensive measures. Hitting Shrimp would affect my family, your family AND the Pritchards. I would definitely have to go into hiding.
okay, you need to get a new car. or a different one. or move out of the country!
Maybe the magnet's in my pocket - because I've had three different cars during the lifetime of this list. Hhhmmmm----
Post a Comment