Official Start of Summer Ramblings
First day of Summer Break and I wake at 4:30. Wonder why?
So what do I do??? Hop on the internet of course. Now it's 6:12.
As I've laid here, I realize I have to go to the bathroom, but prolong it, once I get up I'm going back to bed.
Also, as I sit here on my couch (ok, lay here) it has dawned on my that I have smelled the following things:
Beer. Yes I did have 2 last night, but I don't have any reason to have smelled one. Oh, (looking over at the coffee table), husband didn't put his can in the recycle bag and it's still sitting on the coffee table. That's why the beer smell.
Beef Stew. Now I know there is no beef stew in the house (I don't think looking at the coffee table will do any good this time). So, I don't know why I'm smelling stew. Maybe I'm hungry.
As I lay here it also dawns on me that I still have a time clock this morning...I have to be at the hospital at 10:00 to do some pre-surgery screening. I didn't have to do this with any procedure before, so I don't know why now....hhmm - oh well. I just need to make sure to eat breakfast so I don't get woozy in front of the kids when they take the blood (they are officially out of school and must go with me).
I am also excited about going to the Piccolo Spoleto art show this afternoon - it's my favorite part of Spoleto. Mom will come here and then we'll all head downtown together. I hope Legare and his stitched up knee are up for it. He's been a trooper so far - no complaints (story coming later).
Ah, what the hell, at the school party on Wednesday, we were all at the County Park end of Folly Beach. This whole school was there - pretty fun. There was an amazing tidal gully (the area left full of water as the tide goes out made by a small sand berm that is exposed during low tide. It was about thigh deep for the kids (told you it was a good gully). This wasn't really a tidal pool.
Anyway - ten minutes before it's officially over, Legare's knee hits something in the pool - oyster shell most probably - I guess it could have been glass - and slices his knee open. So, fun for everyone crowding around to see what happened and getting an eyeful of blood and knee meat.
Legare didn't cry - just looked panicked. He insisted on walking the what seemed now like a football field's length off the beach, up the boardwalk steps and back to the car. Towel as a tourniquet, not even ours, and lots of concerned Mommas. Called the pediatrician who encouraged me to go where was convenient (I was on Folly, he's deep in Mt. Pleasant), that with a rough and tumble boy and a laceration on the knee, it was pretty routine, be good to myself. So we went to the MUSC Children's ER. They were fantastic. Legare was treated like a VIP and he even got to watch Star Wars Episode 2 while the stitching took place. He had 148 titles to choose from ranging from Thomas the Train and Dora, to Star Wars. Pretty spectacular Children's ER, I say! They even gave him a brand new book when it was all over with. Kind of like a trip to the treasure chest after being at the dentist office. Only this was 6 stitches, not getting your teeth cleaned.
He never has cried. Not even when they gave him the lidocaine shots (he did have some numbing cream to help with that but it still hurt him). He's taking the biggest antibiotic capsules you ever did see (his choice, he didn't want the liquid), letting me clean his wound, and even braved long pants at the graduation exercises yesterday (with a gauze bandage over the stitches). All without the first complaint. Legare is my new hero. His wonderful attitude kept me very calm. And we all know that I passed out when Julia messed up her thumb a few baseball seasons ago. Of course I thought that was a broken bone. Blood I can apparently handle, bones, not so much.
I'm guessing the tears will come when he misses out on a few things because of the stitches. He is already talking about how he's going to try to never get stitches again. That's fine by me.
Well, thanks for entertaining the rambling. Off to have breakfast, not enough time now for getting back in bed. Cheers to a good summer!


No comments:
Post a Comment