About Me
About me. Hhhmmm.
Well, right now, I’m 40. Right here is where I used to say, "I'm 39. I feel like I should make some sort of comment about that because everyone else does when I tell them I’m 39. Comments like 'And holding?', or 'Really?', or 'OMG, you’re such a baby!'
Really? Still a baby at 39? O.K….if you say so. I'll take that.
But NO, I’m not “holding”. I really am 39. What a fake age."
But now I'm really 40. And it's not bad, don't be afraid.
On July 2, 2009 I will have been married for 15 years. I got married when I was 25 and had been dating my husband since I was 17. We've been together for a total of 22 years. I think we both say that we are happily married. We do argue some, but that’s mainly because my stubborn headed, first born self is usually trying to show his stubborn headed, first born self how he was wrong, or why there’s an opposite argument to whatever he just said.
Why do I do that? I’ll even most times agree with what he’s said (I don’t know if I let him know this). I just like pointing out that there’s usually another way of thinking (he can be extreme sometimes). Maybe I’m helping him “keep it real”. Maybe I’m just being bitchy.
I think I'm a romantic. But maybe it’s just that I like attention and affection. I like getting flowers for no reason at all or on any occasion whatsoever, and chocolates and all kinds of little warm fuzzies for those same reasons; but unfortunately sweet husband isn’t so good at those things. He is great about lots of other things though, so who am I to complain.
I have two fantastic children who are constantly keeping me laughing (which is my favorite thing to do – laugh). They make me laugh with their actions and their own senses of humor. My daughter is 10. Her birthday is on the 15th of September, and my son will be 9 in August. I have a brief 3 week window when I get to tell people that my children’s ages are back to back. This year I was able to tell people that my children were 9 and 10 years old. Sometimes that makes people do a double take. Then I get to let them know that they are 23 months apart and the other birthday is just around the corner. For some reason I get a kick out of seeing the people's reactions. We had them this close by design and planning. And I’m so glad we did.
I like to think that I’m a laid back, fun person. But recently I've begun to think that I’m only laid back if you’re not messing with my plans. If you have put me in charge, or if I’m the one in charge by design of whatever it is we’re doing, I like things done the way I’ve planned them. If you’re the one that's in charge, tell me what to do and I will be sure to do that too. I think that’s where I get the notion that I'm “laid back”; I’ll be glad to follow your lead. It’s just been lately that I have realized that I may have turned into a control freak. And I used to not be that way. I think having babies/children has caused this phenomenon. You have to be so “in charge” of every single aspect of those precious lives that I think it just spills over into other things. I have recently vowed to myself to try to harness some of this control thing. I think it’s much easier to be laid back. And Laid Back is what I would rather be.
I live in a wonderful town. I always knew I liked it here, but it wasn’t until I went off to college that I realized it. So many people seemed in awe that I was from "Charleston". I thought they were loons. “It’s just a place to live”, is what I would think after the often asked question “Oooh – what is it like living in Charleston?”. Then I came back home after a month or two away and realized that it is awesome to live in Charleston.
I started this blog you're reading after a "girl's night" when my sister-in-law told us all that her friends blogged and that they had started a site for her. After checking it out I decided I needed one too. My mother and father had recently moved out of town and blogging was going to be a great way to keep them up to date with the goings on of the children. Since they’ve moved back home the blog has become a place for all kinds of things – not just kids. And there certainly aren’t as many pictures as before. Pictures can be a pain sometimes and I found myself not posting because I dreaded the addition of pictures.
I had no idea I enjoyed writing so much. I hated it in college because my teachers were always butchering – I mean editing – my work so that by the time they were done editing, my papers didn’t sound like me anymore. I finally realized after my freshman year that if I had a paper to turn in, I spent less time f***ing with it if I just wrote what I thought the teacher wanted to hear instead of what I really wanted to write. This approach actually worked very well.
I have found that I really enjoy writing (doesn't every new blogger?). I know that a lot of times I’m improperly using grammar and butchering sentence structure, but it sounds like me. At least when I read it – it probably sounds like you when you read it.
So that’s me in a nut shell. It's not all of me, all of me would fill up way more than a nut shell. You can search “things about me" and "ponderings” in my labels to find out more about who I am. Thanks for visiting.


6 comments:
You're not being 'bitchy'...it's called playing the Devil's advocate. You are just giving a different perspective on things.
And the 'Control Freak' thing......
must be a Stokes trait. I have it (and it's getting worse...so be prepared), your Mom has it. I know it came from the Stokes side 'cause Ma-Maw wasn't like that at all!
You are a wonderful writer ! I LOVE reading your psotings !! You should think about publishing sometime.
I Love You!
Aunt Susie
Hm. I guess I think you always had a little of the Control Freak in you. But back in those days, it was more like a Control Elf. Small and not freakish. Okay, elves are I guess by definition "freaks" BUT if elves weren't freaks by definition, that's what you were. A Control Elf. :)
Keeping writing for you and the rest of us will just enjoy reading whatever you want to share. Enjoyed this one:)
I love this. I can't believe you dated your husband since you were 17 (and together all this time) I admire folks like that. If I married the guy I was dating when I was 17, I know I would either be a) dead or b) living in fear. You got a good one it seems!
Love this post! I definitely think the control freak thing comes from Motherhood!!
I got to tell you I agree with you comments about being 39. It just seems like an ackward age. In your 30's but not really and 40 is looming and who really likes the 40's.
Congrats on the almost 15 years of marriage. You guys obviously have found the chemistry to make it work. Not always possible in this day and age...
Post a Comment