Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Latest Ailment

Well - I've been 40 for a few weeks - let me recap the ailments.
I talked earlier about sweating more at night. I have also noticed that I need to take things further away from my face sometimes to focus...not too far yet though - no readers needed. And then Sunday, walking up the beach boardwalk to my friend's house, I caught my second toe in a crack between the dock planks. I think I was gripping with my feet because I was pulling a load like a pack mule. Anyway, this severely pinched/smashed/pulled my second toe - feeling like I may see blood when I looked down. But luckily - no. However this mash did cause throbbing while trying to sleep Sunday night and I now have the prettiest, deep purple, toenail circling bruise you ever did see.

Then today - while I was laying back over the shampoo bowl while getting my hair done, my stylist (also a cousin and God mother to one of my children) showed some alarm at the amount of hair coming out of my head laying in the bottom of the bowl. In the short stint over the bowl she had to clear my hair from the drain 3 or more times to let the water out. Then while combing me out it, seriously, looked like handfuls of hair came out with each comb through.

(Thought you should be aware that I only have shoulder length hair - no Crystal Gale here).

Of course, me being the crier that I am, began to cry during the combing and getting opinions of the other stylists in her salon. I was a bit scared, and a bit in disbelief. What in the f*!% is happening to me now? (not that there was anything really going on before).

So, I had her give me all of the hair that she had been wrangling and we put it into a bag (well a plastic bag similar to a hair net - I was at a salon you know)...'cause don't you know I'll be headed to the doctor soon to check the levels of thyroid, stress, hormones, genetics that may be causing this.

In the meantime, my stylist suggested that I begin saving hair after each shower and blow dry to compare...it could be levels of all those things mentioned above, or it could just be "Summer Shed" (my term not hers). So we'll see! I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be sure and see your Doctor....
Your 'sweats', can't sleep, hair coming out, etc. could very well be your thyroid. I've been there done that, your Mom too. And that is genetic so for you it's not 'If' but 'when'. Be sure they do a full panel. Not just a TSH. I suffered for years before I got anyone to diagnose it. Don't be surprised if you have to see an Endocrinologist to get to the bottom of it. Good Luck! Love You!
Aunt Susie.

Mike said...

I guess being that I'm hair challenged I can't really sympothize.

I agree you need to see the doc. Get that diagnosed and fixed soon...

movin down the road said...

OH SHOOT!!!! I am so sorry! (I have been absent lately, so sorry!) Definitely go see your doctor. I am sure you are scared but once you know what it is (and let's think in our minds and hearts that it is some minor and manageable thing) you can just move forward and handle it. I have a lump on top of my head, small, but appeared in January. Have I called the doc yet? Nope. But I am going to tomorrow. Lots of love.