Friday, September 12, 2008

Trouble Cat's Getting Kids in Trouble

My cat, Felix, is a true original.
I call him Trouble Cat. And sometimes he is - for instance he has gotten my sweet daughter in trouble.

Some time ago I was finding rubber hair bands ALL OVER the house. I kept thinking Julia and her friends had been doing American Girl hair and were leaving them everywhere. I then thought that I was finding them in the pantry and closets because the cats were finding these left behind hairbands and turning them into their toys.

One day - downstairs in the playroom - I think I found 7 or more. And I blew it. When Julia got home I crawled her about how tired I was at finding and picking up these hairbands and I made her pick them up right then and there. She swore she didn't do it. To which I think I answered that I didn't think it was her brother and his friends.

Then one day, when I was tidying her room, Trouble Cat was sitting on her table watching me. I then saw him stand up and gaze into her little "hair basket" that was on her desk. He took his paws, shuffled them around until he found the one he wanted (yellow) and sauntered away with it to go play. I shared this with Julia and we had a good laugh.

Since then we have caught him opening the drawer in the bathroom where they are now kept (it's down low near the floor). But before we actually saw him do this we kept finding piles in the bathroom floor. Seriously usually 5 or more. Some plain bands and some with ribbons. We just thought he was finding them in forgotten places.

Then we saw him actually choosing his poison.
And he'll do it on demand. If you're around in the bathroom, he'll come check you out to see if you are going to create easy access. If not, he politely uses his paw to open the drawer and help himself. It's almost on demand.

I told you he was Trouble.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is very funny! blame it on the kids when it is really the cat!

Caroline said...

When I was in grad school my roommates cat would steel our paper clips and make up brushes. We would find them in his food bowl, water bowl, under furniture etc. It was hysterical.