The Power of Numbers
Let's start with phone numbers. My old one wasn't one that anyone had an easy time remembering. The prefix was for the downtown doctor's offices and other businesses, but I lived across the bridge where two totally different prefixes were available. I hated it.
Well two weeks ago, after a year and a half, we switched phone providers (for a myriad of reasons) and we got a new number. With the right prefix! Ooooh - I was so excited that it was truly a sad thing to witness. I quickly called all of my friends to brag and sent out an email to everyone that needed the new number. Some even replied with as much glee as I had (thank's Sue!).
So all of this got me thinking....what kind of magic do numbers hold for us? Quite obviously my 7 new numbers were pretty important to me. And I used to have a friend in Columbia that was anal about people having the correct prefix for the area of town in which they lived. I used to laugh, but now I get it.
There are other numbers that hold magical powers. The numbers of sizes. For instance, my foot used to be a 10. A number that was hard to find in a time not so long, long ago. But it slowly became rather easy to find 10's as I entered young adult hood. Then I had babies and the feet grew to a size of 11. I don't think it's actually that much bigger than the old size 10, but it doesn't fit in 10's anymore. I hate saying I have a size 11 foot.
11 isn't really a bad number. Just two little "1's" hanging out together. But I feel like they are the plague when they cross my lips when describing my shoe size. And I hate even more looking for that size. 11. I'm not what I think is an overly large girl - I'm stretching to say I'm 5'6" (more size numbers). I can't be the only one around that needs an 11. I keep thinking it's going to be like the old size 10 problems of days gone by...at some point the 11's will become commonplace. But I keep waiting. Meanwhile I take what I can get and don't ever get excited about the new style because chances are they don't come in 11.
Why do we think the smaller numbers for sizes are better? That's not always true. At least when we stop talking about clothing size. For instance, a bigger number for the "ounces" on your bag of M&M's is way better than a smaller number. Really, have you noticed how few M&M's there are lately? I'm not kidding, check them out the next time you're in a checkout line. You'd do better to go find the quarter candy dispenser at the local restaurant and get some there. I think you'd get more with 2 turns (50 cents) than there are in the bag that costs a dollar. And the 14.5 ounces of green beans in the can when there used to be 16 ounces is for the birds. However, smaller numbers in the prices, like for gas, always rocks!
And toilet paper - how big is that price number going to get? That is a big number that is NOT a good number. It should be much smaller. I was shopping at a place where the pack of Mega rolls I wanted equaled 24 regular rolls (ie discount retailer) and the pack was more than $15.00. What kind of paper is this? Edged in gold? Holy Cow and a big deep breath is all I could come up with. I was in shock.
Bigger numbers in grades. Those are better. Bryan had the guts to tell Julia that she needed to work on the interim report grades that were 90 and 92. He said that compared to her other grades (one of which was a 100) those were like failing. Of course he was joking.
So numbers - by themselves, or the simple fluctuations of high to low, or low to high, are enough to make us feel better. Or worse. Or even to make us go crazy.
Lately there have been lots of numbers that have gotten me. Both good and bad. And unfortunately now that the creative juices have finally gathered around the computer, I'm forgetting most of them.
So, that leads me to the question- what numbers are bothering you? Or are making you feel better these days?


7 comments:
Great! Now my mind will be doing this all day! Weight, gas, blood pressure - bad big numbers.
BIG Bra numbers aren't bad....unless it's a BIG number associated with a little Cup letter. A posting regarding the alphabet next.....?
I Love You!
Susie
Hey, Susie!
I thought about leaving a post about the new bra size I'm sporting but didn't know if everyone wanted me to go there yet. Because there,bra sizes, higher alphabet is usually perceived as a good thing. At least by the guys. I was afraid to get everyone excited for me based on my new number (lower) and letter (higher). But those are definitely some numbers that have been in my world lately.
The number 4 is driving me nuts lately... but it'll be here next week!
Love the new look. I know what you mean about numbers. I tend to remember birthdays and phone numbers. I even remember my first phone number ever...
what does it mean when your phone number has a bunch of 1's and 9's in it? Like mine?
Stepping, I think that your number mean that you're lucky and have an easy phone number (as long as it's the correct 3 in the prefix - that could mean you have the wrong phone number - ha).
Post a Comment