Who's Your Alpha Dog?
I really did get a picture posted - hooray for me keeping my promise to you!
I keep writing in my head, trying to come up with a cute and witty way to relay this story, but I'm tired, and have just decided to go for it - leaving cuteness alone.
Everyone knows how much my cat and dog love each other. Felix (the 12 pound cat) and Willis (the 100 pound dog) are often found laying in the floor, licking and nuzzling one another. This always gets a laugh from friends who haven't witnessed this before. And it always makes me smile.
Willis loves the cat. And the cat uses Willis. Oh, I think he likes Willis a lot. I would even say he knows that Willis loves him. And Felix uses Willis' love for grooming and petting wants, and of late, for keeping warm. He (the cat) snuggles against her (the dog) everywhere - the yard, the house, and now - her bed.
Willis doesn't seem to like this so much.
At first I thought it was so cute to see a little cat all curled up and snug in Willis' big 'ol bed. Then, two nights ago, I realized that the dog is no longer getting in her bed for naps or to sleep at night. Even when the cat is not in the bed, Willis will not, and I mean WILL NOT, lay in it. (lie in it? you know what I mean).
I have invited Willis over to it and even kicked the cat out when necessary. And all Willis does is stand on it, sniff around and quickly retreat. She acts like Felix has marked it somehow (Felix is fixed). I've gone so far as to smell it, but the bed just smells like dog to me. I don't know what her nose is picking up on, but Willis will not enter the bed.
Because of this I have begun feeling sorry for the dog. I've always said this cat was Willis' Alpha Dog but this is ridiculous. Last night I decided to cover the bed with an old sheet. Finally, Willis decided to lay down and relax in her bed.
About 2 minutes later she was joined by Felix (a week ago I would have thought this was really cute and sweet). Willis quickly leaned down to nuzzle her cat then she shot a pleading glance at me from across the room. Felix continued snuggling in to Willis and even offered a few scratchy cat licks of appreciation. This was to no no avail, as Willis waited just long enough to be considered polite and then vacated.
Damn cat! I've told you over and over that he was trouble. I think I may get a shoebox or something and move Felix into that...he's shown a great love for boxes in the past.
If this doesn't work, do you have any suggestions?


3 comments:
What is it with cats and boxes. Mine love an empty box. Or a laundry basket. Sometimes with the clothes still in it. Damn cat hair everywhere...
Can you wash the bed so it doesn't smell like cat anymore? And then get bad kitteh his own bed with some cat nip/crack in it? I wonder if Drs Foster and Smith (big pet catalogue) has something that smells rotten to cats and fine to dogs?
Bad kitteh! Quit picking on the poor pup.
Santa brought our cat a kitty bed. It's still sitting there, unused...
Post a Comment